Monday, January 7, 2008

Cleveland Rocks? We're about to find out!

It's not often you get such a beautiful day for a ride in January! I set off for a 30 mile jaunt today with the temp in the low 70's. Perfect! After yesterdays relatively easy 25 miles, I wanted something that would put some burn in my legs. My route has a couple of short, steep climbs that are quite nice. One rewards you with a nice 40 mph descent that feels great. I've come a long way in the last year and a half. I've lost around 40 lbs since I started riding again. I'd like to drop another 20- 25 to be honest, that'd get me very close to what I weighed when I raced cat 4's in the late 80's. However, I'm a realist too. I don't have the metabolism of a hummingbird anymore. I don't have the time or the drive to ride like I used too either. I'm out of town working quite a bit and when I'm home I love to spend time with my wife and kids. I'm content to stay where I'm at right now weight wise.

This week I'll be in Cleveland working. I've never been to Cleveland, but I hear "it rock's", at least that's what the songs says. And being it has "The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame", I guess it better. I think The Pretenders are from Cleveland. I saw them in concert twice in the 80's. They were awesome! If I remember right, The Call and Simple Minds opened for them. Cleveland sits on Lake Erie, so this time of year it should be breathtakingly cold (I bet they don't get winter day's in the 70's like we do in Richmond!). It's also home to the Cleveland Indians & The Jake. In Cleveland, they can't play baseball in January, so I'll have to wait on that. I think they banned "Chief Wahoo" in the name of political correctness, which sucks! The Braves did the same with "Chief Nok-a- Homa", what an great name! I hope they've got some decent restaurants as well. When you're on the road as much as I am you try to find something different. I can't stand most of the chain/ clone restaurants anymore. Sometimes I think if I sit in another ChiliApplebee's again I'll go homicidal. That crap is way overpriced! I'll be frequenting Cleveland a lot this year, so I'm hoping for the best!