Friday, March 27, 2009

Today was a pretty good day...

I got my work done early and put in a 44 mile ride (2 1/2 hours)! It's absolutely pouring rain right now and it's supposed to let up tomorrow morning, which is a good thing because Carol & Heather are doing the Ukrop's 10k in Richmond around 11am. If they're lucky, it'll just drizzle a little. This run is a pretty big deal on the east coast. Around 20,000 people are signed up if the news is correct.

My ride went very well. It was cloudy, dry and about 58 degrees. All I needed to stay warm was my arm warmers and vest. It's nice to pedal along the James River and enjoy the scenery before climbing up Old Gun Road. It's not a steep climb, or particularly long, but I hit it at about the 25 mile mark so if I'm not feeling all that great it can hurt a little. Today I felt very strong and blasted up as fast as I ever have! It felt terrific! My fitness level has really taken off over the last two weeks. I've put in a lot of upper body and core work over the winter and really ramped it up the last few weeks. It really feels like it's paying off. I'm not where I want to be weight wise, but I've not been this light in years. I'm very happy now, but I'd like to drop another 10 or 15, I'd be ecstatic!

As I plodded along I thought about how important it is to practice "self denial". From large and small financial decisions, to what we feed our minds, to quantity and quality of food choices; it's a great habit to cultivate in every facet of our lives. I've not always been good at it, but I try and that's a good place to start I guess.

I celebrated my fine day with an Amstel Light.

No comments: