Thursday, March 27, 2008

El Manzana Grande!



I made my first trip to NYC this week. Now I get it! I've been in most of the major cities in this country and it's one of the most unique and coolest places I've been. It's almost overwhelming. I started out with appointments in Connecticut and worked my way back. On my way to Connecticut I passed the Mets new stadium. It looks great and I hope to catch a game at Shea later this year. It's the last year for Yankee stadium as well and catching a game there is a must! Interestingly, I ended up renting a room at a HoJo in the Bronx. $100 doesn't get you very much nowadays, it was a dump (the HoJo & the Bronx). However, I met someone for breakfast at a "Seinfeld" like diner the next morning and the food and service were great.
If you ever visit a big city you'd be doing yourself a huge favor to use a GPS to get around! Just type in the address and it'll drop you on the doorstep. I have a Magellan and I can't begin to tell you how great it works! Most of my trip has been on Long Island. Since no trip to the area would be complete without "a slice", today I had some great pizza at a Mama Theresa's. If you ever find yourself in Westbury, NY do yourself a favor and check it out. You won't regret it I can tell you that. The eggplant panini I had there last night was excellent as well.
Some things I appreciate about New Yorkers...
  • Their bluntness (You can be polite & blunt).
  • Their sense of belonging (everyone should be proud of where they're from).
  • They (at least the ones I ran into) give great directions.
  • They know how to have a great time (when it comes to entertainment, if they don't have it you dont need it).
  • They know how to eat (the variety and quality is amazing).
JFK is a pretty easy airport to get around. I was able to get to the AirTrain and to my rental car agency easily. I've been driving a Chevy Cobalt. It's a bucket of bolts, but it's good on gas. I used Jetblue this week and had no problems. Aside from being delayed a few times I usually don't. Their planes are always very clean and have plenty of legroom.
I really look forward to getting to know this city!




2 comments:

Jason Nota said...

I read a blog of a German lady who visited NY. She thought they were rude. Boston folks were good. The only thing I can judge NY'ers is by their Baseball fans. Lets just say I don't like them. On the other hand Boston fans are great. I'm from Michigan and I'm a Tiger fan. So I don't say this with any bias.

Steve Scott said...

I need to go back and do NY right. I was only there on a 16 hour layover on my way to Montreal and spent the evening in the bleachers at Yankee Stadium.