Saturday, March 8, 2008

Let the racing begin!

Blink, and a month and a half blows by! I wish I can say it's been pleasant, but I injured my back somehow and the pain has been unreal. On top of that, I've been traveling for work as well. However, on a happy note I've been seeing a chiropractor and I've felt significantly better the last week or so.

Travel wise, I've been to Boston, Albany, Detroit, Indianapolis, and all over Virginia and Maryland. I'm going to start "reviewing" and "rating" some of the cities and towns I visit frequently. Maybe I'll rate some of the airports as well. Maybe I'll start this week, I'm flying into Indianapolis and then driving to Elkhart, Indiana.

My back has kept me off the bike as well, and I'm getting depressed. I did go out last Monday for about 20 miles with my son. He's got a lot of potential! At 16, he's got a lot of energy to burn. I'd love to get both my sons a really nice bike. Right now they share an old Cilo. It's good though, for as much as they ride at the moment. My 15 year old son could be quite good as well. He's got a lot of stamina.

Thank goodness the pro peleton is back on the road and providing me quality entertainment. The Tour of California was great! Het Volk was very good as well, Philippe Gilbert had a quality win for Francaise Des Jeux. The guy is a stud!

Cobbles are insane! Last Saturday, I watched "A Sunday in Hell". That is one hell of a documentary and I highly recommend it to anyone. Paris Roubaix with Merckx, De Vlaemink, Maartens, and Moser! It doesn't get better than that.

Paris- Nice is running this week and it should be a good race if the UCI doesn't screw it up by intimidating the riders into not racing.
Man I love cycling! Last week I was thinking about Bob Brooks. I started riding in Fresno, CA when I was in my late teens. Bob was an older gentleman with legs of steel and Olympic class lung power. He holds a number of records for various cycling disciplines in his age group. I'd see him out on the road sometimes and he was always very kind and encouraging. He doesn't know it, but he was an inspiration to me. I hope he's doing well! Viva Bob Brooks!

I'm very pissed to hear that the the U.S. open Cycling Championships have been moved from Richmond to Providence, RI! What the hell? It only lasted one year in Richmond? I was really looking forward to watching the boys hammer up Libby Hill. When am I gonna catch a break? There was no Tour of Cali when I lived there. When there's finally a good quality race in the town I live in, it's moved after one year!Whatever happened to the Captech Classic by the
way?
That was a great race through the streets of downtown Richmond. I was out of town a couple of years ago when it was last held. I've not heard a thing about it since.
My wife and I celebrated 18 years of marriage last week. I can honestly say I'm a very blessed man. She's a wonderful wife, friend, and mother. I definitely "married up"! We went out for dinner at a new Japanese restaurant called "Kubuki". It was terrific! The chef was quite the showman. He was tossing knives and playing with fire, it was very entertaining and the food was excellent! all in all it was a memorable evening.



No comments: