Thursday, May 8, 2008

Fresno Giants Baseball

I was born in Torrance, California and lived there until I was 10 or so. In the mid 70's my dad decided he wanted to live closer to his parents, so we moved to "Lowrider Country" aka Fresno, California. I've not lived there in almost 20 years and although it's "home" in a sense, nowadays it has few redeeming qualities. It's blazing hot in the summer. The Tule fog in the winter is so thick you can't see across the street. It lost its farming community charm some time ago and can now claim high crime, ghastly smog, and high unemployment as its modern day charms. In fact it seems that the only time Fresno makes the news is when something horrible happens. How sad.

For several years when I was growing up we lived right around the corner from Euless Park; home of the California League Class A Fresno Giants. Now I've always been a die- hard Dodger fan, but this was our local team. So while I hated them in San Francisco, I loved 'em in Fresno (even when the Lodi Dodgers were in town). My dad befriended the head groundskeeper, Tony; and he gave us several season passes every year. We lived so close we could walk to the games, in fact we were there just about every night.

Minor league baseball in the 70's and 80's was really something. Back then the stadium smelled of a mixture of dirt, grass, cigar smoke, spilled beer, hot dogs, and Old Spice aftershave (as for the Old Spice, I sat next to my dad). It was a glorious odor! That's how a ballpark is supposed to smell as far as I'm concerned. Euless Park had the best snow cones as well! I used to love watching the grounds crew water down the infield and lay the chalk lines. Crass, classless heckling was the norm! In fact I remember a third baseman, who'd been the recipient of some real "Olympic Class" jeers, give our section "the bird" while using his glove to shield anyone else from seeing "his digit"! Classic!

We'd get there early, watch BP and infield, get autographs (some of which I still have) and talk to the players. It was heaven for a young baseball fan. During the game, if you got a foul ball you could turn it in for a free ticket or a hot dog/ soda. The usher would try to hunt you down to get the ball back, so we'd stick it under our shirt and hope he didn't notice who'd picked it up. We'd also hover around the dugout during and after the game in the hopes of getting a cracked bat. We managed to get bats from Bob Brenly, Mike Aldrete, and Rob Deer. I also had bats from Minor Leaguers Wayne Cato (a catcher, who later managed the Fresno Giants), and Jim Elrod. Usually, we'd wrap the handle with silver duct tape and use the bats to hit tennis balls to each other.

Fresno had some great players pass through over the years, Chili Davis, Dennis Littlejohn, Bob Brenly, Mike Aldrete, Tom O' Malley, Joe Strain, Dan Gladden, Will Clark, Robby Thompson, Chris Brown, John Henry Johnston, John Burkett, Rob Deer, Gil Heridia. I remember managers John Van Ornum, Jim Maloney, and Wendall Kim as well.

Rival teams and various players were...

The Lodi/ Bakersfield Dodgers - Fernando, Alan Wiggins, Mike Marshall, Greg Brock, Doug Rau, Rudy Law, Mike Piazza, Eric Karros, Hideo Nomo, Candy Maldonado.

The Visalia Oaks (Twins)- Kirby Puckett, Kent Hrbeck, Rich Becker, Jay Bell, Joe Charboneau.

Modesto A's- Eric Show, Ricky Henderson, Dewayne Murphy, Walt Weiss, Jose Canseco, Mark McGwire, Mike Gallego, Dave Henderson,

Stockton Ports (Brewers)- Gary Sheffield,

San Jose Missions (Mariners)- Kevin Bass, Bud Black, Kelly Downs.

Reno Silver Sox- (Padres)- Ozzie Guillen, Kevin McReynolds, Benito Santiago,

Salinas Spurs- (Angels)- Leon Durham, Tom Brunansky, Gary Pettis, Mike Witt,

I saw some great players pass through, but I also remember many of the guys who didn't get very far with the Giants. I remember a shortstop named Mike Rex and a third baseman/ Power hitter Bill "Yogi" Young. A pitcher named Steve Wilkins stands out in my mind as well.

Occassionally they had "The King and His Court", a traveling softball team of sorts, for pregame entertainment. The team consisted of a fastpitch softball pitcher who could really bring it (almost unhittable), a catcher, a shortstop/ outfielder and a first baseman. They'd challenge some of the Giants hitters and never lost from what I can remember. Other than that, the entertainment was the game itself. No mascots, racing hot dogs, blaring, crappy music, etc. Just the game. Doubleheaders were very common!

One time we were sitting, waiting for the game to start and my dad says "I see somebody you need to meet". We walk down a couple of aisles and sit down next to an older gentleman. My dad says "Hello Mr. Spahn, if it's not to much trouble, can we chat for a few minutes until the game starts"? It was Warren Spahn! Mr. Spahn didn't mind chatting at all and was a teriffic fellow! Apparantly he was doing some scouting for the SF Giants. I still have my Fresno Giants program that he autographed.

Man, those were some great times!

5 comments:

Jason Nota said...

Do you use Old Spice today? I do which was past down by my dad. I read somewhere that 80% of men use the same cologne as their father did. My wife thought I needed to try something different. I think that bottle is still on the shelf unused since 1995.

Richmond Roadie said...

Sometimes! It has a manly smell that reminds me of my dad.

Steve Scott said...

Did you know Jack & Bobbie Pieroni in Fresno? Jack was the sporting goods icon and his wife Bobbie was the lady who did all the minuture models in the boxes. They're my wife's uncle and aunt.

Only about three names on your list I don't recognize. Oh, you pushed some buttons on ballpark smells. I loved the smell of a good cigar, even though I've never smoked one. I remember when fans could bring in their own beer. People used to bring in the gallon milk containers full of beer.

Richmond Roadie said...

I certainly know the Pieroni name. They're very well know and respected in Fresno. I went to school with a guy named Paul Pieroni.

BYOB!? I would love that! A gallon of beer would cost about $50 bucks at the park!

Steve Scott said...

The BYOB allowance unfortunately was done away with a few years before I turned 21.

Yes, Pieroni is big in Fresno. Bulldog supporters and everything.