Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Score!


After a great weekend in New Jersey, I hopped a plane to Chicago for a fundraising seminar last week. After lunch one day, it was announced that one of the attendee's had an extra ticket to the Cubs game that night! When she announced it, the guy who had the ticket happened to be looking right at me. I instantly staked my claim and two hours later I was sitting in a great seat at Wrigley Field!
The Reds were in town and the atmosphere (as I assume it always is) was electric. I quickly grabbed a "Chicago Dog", bag o' peanuts, and an "Old Style" and settled into my seat. Aside from the two lesbians mawing each others faces two rows down, it was a great night. Ken Griffey Jr. went yard for the Reds, and Derek Lee absolutely crushed an Aaron Harang pitch into the left centerfield bleachers (he went 3 for 5). The Cubbies turned a couple of slick double plays whilst pounding the Reds 9-5. Cubs fans really let Dusty Baker have it each time he ventured from the dugout! It was crazy! Wrigley is one of the most unique baseball experiences I've had. I've not witnessed that kind of passion out of a group of fans before.
Last weekend I pounded out rides of 28, 38, and 30 miles! The weather was perfect and the legs felt great!

3 comments:

Steve Scott said...

I visited Wrigley back in the 80's, before lights were installed. Nice place to visit, but I'm not sure I'd want to live there. The ivy and tradition (no TV replays) were nostalgic, and sitting in the bleachers was fun. That the Sox also played night games while I was there (in old Comiskey) made it great. I'm glad you had a good time, and I really want to go back someday and take my family.

Jason Nota said...

Red Sox and Cub fans are great baseball fans. I heard something interesting while watching a Tigers game last night. Detroit Tiger merchandise is the #2 selling among MLB teams. They did not say which team was the #1 selling.

Richmond Roadie said...

Steve, You're right. I've simply got to take my family! However, I definitely wouldn't want to live there!

Jason, I once heard the Tigers uni's described as the classiest in baseball. It'd be hard to disagree. I'm guessing the Yankees are numero uno.