Thursday, April 24, 2008

Beantown


This was my second trip to Boston and I've got to say it's a great town to visit. Tuesday I managed to scrape together some time and visited the battlefield at Concord. I'm a history buff, and one of the periods of time that interests me most is the 1700's, so I'm like a kid in a candy shop living on the East Coast. I just finished reading "Paul Revere's Ride" by David Hackett Fischer for the 2nd time in preparation for this trip. Walking portions of the battlefield, it's easy to imagine swarms of pissed off colonist's laying into the British Regulars. These men had a completely different worldview than what the vast majority of Americans possess today. They recognized that their rights as Englishmen, rights they held sacred, were being violated in principle. If they allowed those rights to be violated in any degree, it set a precedent for further violations. If they could see "us" now, our Founding Fathers would be on a spit, turning in their graves.
If you ever venture to Boston, be sure to make time to tour the Sam Adams Brewery as well! It's a great tour and it's very interesting to see how they brew beer. Plus, at the end of the tour they do a "tasting"! Viva Sam Adams Imperial Stout (a very dark beer they're developing)! I was in a room full of people who'd run the Boston Marathon a couple of days before. I had a nice conversation with a couple of guys from Minnesota and a dentist from Berlin.
The airport in Boston is easy to get in and out of, and there's some pretty good restaurants scattered about. I've taken a liking to Lendy's Deli in Saugus, where I've been staying. Jimmy's Steerhouse is very good as well (try the beef tips!). My Magellan GPS unit is absolutely teriffic! It continues to drop me on the doorstep of every appointment on my schedule. Boston is a great town to work in and I look forward to coming back often.

No comments: